Technology: DSLPatented Technology:
In 2012, TQ Delta acquired a key patent portfolio from Aware, Inc., a pioneer in the development of multicarrier communications technology and key participant in international standard bodies. Initially developed with a primary focus on digital subscriber line (DSL) technology, the most widely used residential broadband access technology in the world today, the portfolio encompasses innovations that have subsequently been adopted by a wide array of communications standards and systems. All DSL services throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia rely on standards based on technologies developed by TQ Delta and Aware.
All DSL services throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia rely on standards based on technologies developed by TQ Delta
DSL technology and services have evolved from the multi-megabit ADSL2 and ADSL2+ of the early 2000s to the VDSL2, Bonded and G.inp versions that today deliver speeds up to 100 Mbps. Devices have become increasingly sophisticated as network access multiplexers (known as DSLAMs) support multiport and multi-standard operations. At the customer premises, devices have transitioned from simple modems to broadband gateways and integrated access devices (IADs) that support advanced triple-play services in the home.
The patented technologies in the TQ Delta portfolio cover key innovations in DSL, including:
- Diagnostic modes and test parameter collection/monitoring improve reliability for entertainment quality TV services
- Phase scrambling is critical in enabling robust initialization and operation for higher throughput and greater reach services
- Low Power Mode (L2) reduces power consumption based on user usage, allowing power savings for green, eco-friendly operation
- Pair bonding transmits DSL over two or more telephone lines to the same DSL subscriber simultaneously for higher throughput and greater reach
- Interleaving memory sharing technology significantly reduces memory requirements of VDSL2 transceivers, allowing for cost reduction in DSL devices
- Access to and transport of critical test and diagnostics information for reliable communications
TQ Delta has continued Aware’s legacy as a technology pioneer, expanding the depth and breadth of the technologies and related patents and maintaining significant participation and membership at the International Telecommunications Union
Since 2012, TQ Delta has continued Aware’s legacy as a technology pioneer, expanding the depth and breadth of the technologies and related patents and maintaining significant participation and membership at the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) – the standards body that establishes worldwide standards for DSL. Broadband residential services from AT&T, Qwest, Centurylink, British Telecom, Deutsche Telekom, France Telecom, and carriers across Asia and the rest of the world rely on these standards and the technologies from TQ Delta that are incorporated within them. TQ Delta has ongoing investments in these key technologies for even faster and more robust networks of tomorrow.
among the largest collections of standards essential patents in the DSL industry
- TQ Delta’s patent portfolio is the largest collection of standards-essential patents in the DSL industry.
- The portfolio includes 21 patent families with over 86 issued US patents, over 156 issued non-US patents, and over 52 pending applications worldwide with geographic coverage including but not limited to: U.S., Europe, Japan, Korea, Australia, China, and Canada
- Includes patents that are fundamental to DSL broadband communication products and services including but not limited to modems, gateways, access multiplexers, routers and switches
- Over 275 forward citations to TQ Delta patents from patents owned by companies such as Alcatel-Lucent, 2Wire, Nortel, Huawei, Nokia, AT&T, ADC Telecom, Broadcom, Microsoft and Panasonic
- As a result of the breadth and quality of TQ Delta’s inventions, the portfolio also includes patents related to other current and emerging media and communications standards and solutions
Representative* Relevant Standards:
|ADSL2/2+||G.INP||and other current & emerging standards|
|*This list is not intended to be an exhaustive list of standards that may be relevant to TQ Delta patents.|
DSL is the most widely used broadband access technology in the world
DSL technology, deployed in customer premise equipment (CPE) and central office equipment (CO), is by far the most widely used broadband access technology in the world. DSL is a leading broadband solution in the U.S. along with cable and fiber and is the dominant market leader in other developed regions such as Western Europe, Japan, and Korea. This reliance on DSL in Asia and Europe makes the TQ Delta portfolio’s international coverage particularly significant. In mature regions, a replacement cycle is underway with VDSL2 replacing ADSL2/2+ in most installations. VDSL2 is the preferred rollout technology and will continue to increase rapidly in newly developing regions. In addition, G. Bond, G.inp vectored ports and newly emerging G.Fast have increased rapidly since 2015 and are expected to continue to be a key area of growth and investment in fixed broadband equipment around the world as providers and consumers demand even higher throughput and reliability.
TQ Delta is committed to enabling access to market participants who wish to purchase licenses to practice its DSL standard essential patents (SEPs) in accordance of one or more licensed standards. TQ Delta offers licenses under fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory terms. The following table illustrates a range of royalties for licenses to TQ Delta’s DSL SEP portfolio for certain currently identified xDSL standards:
|Licensed Products||Royalty Rate|
|DSL CPE||$0.60 to $3.10 (per licensed product)|
|DSL Port Equipment||$1.25 to $2.60 (per port)|
Specific terms will reflect:
- The mix of standards implemented by licensee
- Initial license fee covering past manufacture, use or sales with ongoing royalties owed for each additional product used, sold, or made
- Potential incentives for prepayment and/or financing may be available under certain circumstances
For more information about TQ Delta’s patent portfolio and specific licensing terms for your use, please complete the form on our Contact Us page and you will be contacted by a member of our licensing team.